Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Glory

She is, in my mind anyway, a perfect example of an imperfect human living every single day for the glory of the God who made each and every one of us.  

She's precious.  Remarkable.

She's silent when she needs to be and forceful when it's necessary.

She is actively involved in her family and her church.

She has been a missionary, both to people in other countries and to her neighbors at home.

She speaks truth into the lives of incarcerated prisoners at jails and detention centers.

She walks in parades, sharing the gospel.

She has literally put her life on the line, more than once, to put the word of God into the hands of those who aren't allowed to read it.

She is (almost) 84.


This is my beautiful great aunt.  

She's stunning, really, both inside and out.  When I think of the word "glory," she's one of the first people to come to my mind.  Glory.  She doesn't do the things she does so that people will look at her as a saint (although we do).  She doesn't do the things she does so that we can gaze with awe at the amazing woman of God she's become with years of refinement (although we do).  She doesn't do the things she does so that we will congratulate her or praise her or thank her (although we do).  

She does the things she does, every day, for the glory of God...to bring Him glory.

She does the things she does to show God her love for Him.

She does the things she does in PRAISE for Him.

She worships Him through her works.

Glory.

~~~~

I don't make New Year's resolutions.  I tried a few times.  I failed.  I don't do it anymore.  A couple of years ago, a friend told me about her plan to choose a word each year that would shape and mold who she would be that year.  It's been a fabulous reminder of who I am becoming!

I pray for days and weeks before the start of a new year, asking God for the one word I need to more fully embody as I walk through the pages of this year's calendar.  I was struggling, really struggling, to decide on a word this year.

A couple of months ago, maybe close to 3 months ago, I challenged my students to begin living every day, every moment, for the glory of God.  I challenged myself too.  It's been a nice shift in mindset.

When I began the journey to decide on this year's word, GLORY kept popping into my mind.  I resisted.  I've already been there.  I've already done that.  For weeks and weeks I've been doing that.  Every time I go to school, I think about glory.  Every time I go to school, I think about glory.

And what about the rest of the time?

What about when I'm in my living room?  My car?  The grocery store?  What about when it's time to wash the dishes, the laundry, the dog?  What about when the kids are really getting to me?  What about then?  Do I live the way Christ would?  Do I live in a way that would bring glory to Him?  

Do I live my life in such a way that when I'm (almost) 84, my great nieces will look at me with eyes full of wonder and amazement and SEE Christ?  

Do I do everything I can to live a life that brings glory to God?

~~~~

This year, I will focus on glory.

glo·ry [glawr-ee, glohr-ee] 
noun, plural glo·ries.
1.
very great praise, honor, or distinction bestowed by common consent; renown: to win glory on thefield of battle.
2.
something that is a source of honor, fame, or admiration; a distinguished ornament or an object ofpride: a sonnet that is one of the glories of English poetry.
3.
adoring praise or worshipful thanksgiving: Give glory to God.
4.
resplendent beauty or magnificence: the glory of autumn.
5.
a state of great splendor, magnificence, or prosperity.



I will strive, every day, to do everything I do for His glory.  He deserves my best.  It is my goal, my job, my desire, to give Him exactly that. 

 After all, if my 84 year old great aunt is willing to give everything, including her very life, for His glory, aren't I capable of doing the same?





1 comments:

Jen Crum said...

She encompasses so many fantastic things. What a beautiful example of how to live.

Post a Comment