Sunday, August 12, 2012

Things are changing

I spent the first nine months of the year searching for a job.  Considering it's only August, you can see I've been busy!  (Admittedly, I'm a bit of an overachiever.)  During that time I applied for literally hundreds of jobs and interviewed for 2.  I even made it to round 2 interviews for one of those positions!

Then it was 2 1/2 weeks until school would start.  We'd sort of resigned ourselves to the fact that I'd still be at home (which I LOVE) and we'd still be squeaking by while The Hubby worked full time and went to school in the fall.  We were okay with that (mostly), because we had to be.

God's funny, though. 

It was 2 1/2 weeks before school would start, when the principal of Little Lou's (and Bugsy's in a couple days) called me to see if I would be interested in interviewing for a position.  I would be SO interested in interviewing for that position.  You know, that position I didn't even know existed.  That position I didn't technically apply for (although I'd applied there very early in the year and not been called).  That position that needed to be filled immediately because, well, school started in 2 1/2 weeks.

So I went.  I interviewed.  I walked out of the school pondering all the things I'd said wrong, what I would say differently if I could please just go back into the principal's office, just one more time.  Please.  And then I waited.  And waited.  And waited.  Because she said she'd call "next week" and she didn't call.  (Of course I'd told her not to worry about it if she didn't get to it, that I knew it was registration week and she'd be super busy.  But still.)  I waited and hoped and prayed and nothing happened.

We sent the kids away that weekend.  We do that from time to time.  Typically about one weekend a month we pack their bags and ship them out to Mamma's house.  Usually I spend the weekend cleaning like a mad-woman because I can't stand to have a messy house when people come over, and when the in-laws bring the kids back they'll be...well, people.  This weekend, though (last weekend, to be exact), we'd decided that we'd spend the weekend discussing what happens "next."  What's our 5-year-plan?  Our 10-year-plan?  (People, our 10-year-plan involves a college search?!?  Holy cow!  We've got to start thinking about how Little Lou's going to pay for college because in 10 years she'll be a senior in high school!)  What do we need to do to meet our goals?

I made The Hubby take me out of the house on Saturday.  I can't concentrate on relaxing while I'm at home because I see all the STUFF.  We had lunch (free hot dogs provided by a newly forming chapter of Christian Motorcyclists' Association) and were trying to decide what to do next.  We were discussing how things were looking for the fall and what we'd be doing and where we were headed.  (We were headed to Walmart to return some bike inner tubes, but that doesn't matter.)  

I got THE CALL.

They want me, people!  They really really want me!  Can I start Wednesday...no, Tuesday??  Of course I can!  (It's EASY to find daycare in 6 days, right?)  And then another call...The superintendent wants you to start Monday.  Can you start Monday?  Of course I can!  (It's EASY to find daycare in 5 days, right?)

Friends, I'm telling you this for a few reasons.  #1, God is SO good, and when we least expect it He reveals His plans.  Sometimes they're surprising.  Always they're perfect.  #2, I found daycare.  It took 4 days to decide, but Thursday afternoon I turned in the registration check and paperwork and trained the teachers in cloth diapering.  #3, I am super duper excited about my new job!  I'll be the Title 1 aide at my kids' school, and I'll likely get to visit with Little Lou and (more frequently) Bugsy in their classrooms!  #4, I'm dreading dropping Stinky off for his first day of daycare.  This mama's gonna miss that little boy like crazy!  And finally, #5:

I START TOMORROW!!

Pray for me tomorrow, would you?  Big prayers.  Because tomorrow, for the first time in 2 1/2 years, I will be "on the clock" for the day, and for the first time ever Stinky will be spending a day in daycare.  I'm going to miss these people tomorrow!  (And I'm going to love it.)




0 comments:

Post a Comment