Friday, May 27, 2011

Flats and Handwashing Challenge: Mandarin Oranges

Mandarin Oranges.

If you've ever worked in a daycare, you know what I'm about to say.

Mandarin oranges are one of "those" foods.  You know, the type (in a daycare setting) where you automatically anticipate that every child will have at least one dirty diaper after lunch.  There's a reason why more moms don't feed their kids mandarin oranges.

I, however, neglected to pay attention to my inner self yesterday.  My instincts told me that I shouldn't give Stinky mandarin oranges for lunch.  My instincts warned me against giving him a second helping.  Why didn't I listen?

Flats and handwashing is going great.  I'm LOVING the flats!  But the mandarin oranges.  Oh, the mandarin oranges.  When Stinky's taking his tummy medicine, he has one Stinky diaper a day.  At morning naptime.  Like clockwork.  Yesterday?  FOUR.  Four stinky, mandarin orange diapers, which I had to wash by HAND in my bathroom sink.  And this morning?  Nothing.  But this afternoon?  You guessed it.  Mandarin oranges!

Now, I need to remind you that I've been operating on just 3 covers, as I am still awaiting two to come in the mail.  There are currently 7 diapers and 3 covers on my line.  My diapers didn't dry overnight in the house!  In fact, I JUST checked, and they are ALL still damp!  Some of those diapers have been drying for over 24 hours!  I've had them on the line, in the clouds, for about 4 hours.  They're still damp!  I had to substitute a cover.  Thank goodness I've been running 2 short!  I wouldn't have known what to do!  I tried blow drying one of my "rotation" covers.  It took too long and I was afraid it would catch fire.  Oh, how I want to go snatch those diapers off the line and throw them in the dryer!

This, right here, right now, is the hardest part of my week so far!  It's almost over, just 2 more days, and part of my wants to give up!  I changed Stinky a little while ago, and I can't tell you how badly I wanted to reach for a pocket instead of a cover  I controlled myself, though, and Stinky is in his flat and cover.  :)

I'm learning a lot, though.  I can't wait for the end of the week to tell you all the things I've learned!  This has been such a great, eye opening experience for me, in so many ways!

1 comments:

Liz said...

Hang in there! you're doing great!!!

Post a Comment