Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Make-shift Vacuum Cleaner Upholstery Brush Megaphone

My son loves the upholstery brush from the vacuum cleaner. It seems most little kids are fascinated by vacuum cleaner attachments...a lot more so than their mommies!  My son uses the upholstery brush as a megaphone.  He'll wander around the house making announcements, singing, summoning people-all the regular megaphone type stuff.  


This morning I was frustrated.  It was way past time to leave to take big sister to school.  We were running late and I HATE running late.  There truly are few things that make me angry more quickly than dawdlers when I'm in a hurry.  I asked the little man to get his socks and shoes and bring them to me so I could help him put them on, as it's much faster than waiting for him to put them on himself.  Imagine my frustration when he began wandering the house, CALLING OUT to his socks and shoes with his makeshift vacuum cleaner upholstery brush megaphone!  "Socks!  Shoes!  Come here!  Socks!  Shoes..."  And then he seemed genuinely surprised when they didn't magically appear in response to his plea.  Hurt, even. 

He did eventually bring his socks and shoes.  As I helped him put them on, I couldn't help but think we're all like that sometimes.  Think about it.  How often do we wander through life, shouting into our own makeshift megaphones, "Blessings!  Blessings, where are you?  Come here, blessings!"  We're genuinely disappointed...hurt even...when we don't find them.  And we weren't even looking! 

John 1:16 says, "From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another."  It's true!  Even on the days we can't think of a single things to be happy for-or maybe especially on the days we can't find anything worth smiling about-we need to seek out those blessings!  Open the dresser drawers of your life.  Check the laundry pile.  Dig under the bed if you have to!  But for goodness sake, let's remember that blessings ARE there.  God's promised them to us.  He's in the business of providing blessings, we just don't always see them.

I challenge you (and me!) today to put away the megaphone.  Get up off your bottom and search for a blessing!  It's out there.  And once you find it, if you need help to put it on, let me know.  I'm good at that sort of thing.


1 comments:

Emily said...

There is not a shortage of blessings in my life right now by any means. I'm very thankful!

Miss this little man! Still can't believe he's a big brother!

Glad you all enjoyed IUDM. Wish I could have been there!

Post a Comment