Monday, December 20, 2010

It's been a "maybe next year" year

As for many of the families around us, money has been tight this year.  Tight tight.  It's been a year of hand-me-down clothes (although that's nothing new), thrift store birthday presents, and a scaled back menu.  It's been a year of feeling a little too warm in the house in the summer and a little too cool in the winter.  It's been a "maybe next year" year.  We've struggled to make ends meet, but they've met.  We've struggled to do a few "extras," but we've found a way. 

I was reminded this weekend, though, of how blessed we are, even financially.  You see, we have a place to live, and the ability to pay for it!
(It doesn't QUITE look like that anymore...we're now minus the enclosed porch and carport, and the bushes are quite a bit bigger...oh, and it's all snow covered.)

And it's in a nice, "quiet" neighborbood.  (I use the term "quiet" loosely because there are 80 bajillion kids running around all spring, summer, and fall...and 30 bajillion in the winter!)  There are tons of kids for our kids to play with, and all right about their ages!


We have air conditioning when it's hot and heat when it's cold.  We have running water! 



We have more "things" than we know what to do with.


We have "affordable" access to quality healthcare.


We have friends and family, both nearby and near in spirit, that love us unconditionally.



We have three children you are in good health and who love us!


I was humbled this weekend to realize how much we...how much I take for granted.  Because I have a warm, safe place to live.  I have friends and family.  I have have have have have.  I have too much.  I have so much that when I can't "have" I feel deprived!  I know that more than likely I'll soon forget how much I have.  I pray that I don't, though!  I hope that I'll carry through with my promise to myself to get rid of some of the "excess."  And I pray that, in the back of my mind--or maybe more toward the front of my mind--I will hold the reminder of this weekend.  I am blessed beyond measure.  I have more than I need, even when I don't think I do. 

Please, Jesus, help me remember to be content!



0 comments:

Post a Comment